Stranger Things - Season Three (2019, Netflix) SPOILERS INCLUDED!

Stranger Things - Season Three (2019, Netflix)SPOILERS INCLUDED!
Created and Directed by The Duffer Brothers 
Starring too many talented people for me to fully list so here’s a link is IMDb Click Here


*also there are two spelling mistakes in here that I cant find because of my dysexia. So please do me favour and odnt point them out to me. I spent 20 minutes trying to find them beofre I gave up. 


Episode One 
If there is one thing this show has taught me, it’s don’t trust anyone with a lab coat or a military uniform on. And what did the opening scenes of the very first episode show us? Men in lab coats and military uniform… a clear sign that this season is going to full of chaos…


I fully thought they were attempting to re-open the gate that Eleven had closed the previous season. I was not expecting them to be russian and for it to be an entirely different gate. For some reason my brain fully believed that the upside down only existed in Hawkins. 


I really enjoyed the episode and I liked how it set up all the storylines for the season ahead. I’m particularly excited for Erica, she literally has less than two minutes on screen and she already stole the entire show for me. We stan a sassy queen! 


One thing I did not enjoy was whatever the hell is going on between Billy Hargrove and Mrs Wheeler… that sh*t is nasty and needs to end… QUICKLY! 


However speaking of Billy. I am very excited for his storyline as the demogorgons new host, because unlike Will, Billy is already an evil character so, who knows what the demogorgon will do with that kind of chaotic evil energy that Billy holds. 


Other things I learnt from episode one but don’t want to go into too much detail because I feel like it will develop throughout the season: 
  • An entire town size blackout should be suspicious in Hawkins and should of been taken more seriously! Looking at you there Hopper. 
  • Will can feel that the monster is coming back and now doing anything about it which is going to evidently come back to bite him. 
  • All the mums fawning over Billy is high-key uncomfortable to watch. 
  • Clealry all the journalists at the Hawkins Post are sexism dumbasses because Nancy literally handed you a story idea covered in gold and they cared more about their dumb lunch. 
  • Half of me wants Joyce and Hopper to get together ASAP, but the other half of me knows Joyce needs time to heal after losing Bob. 
  • Dustin is a science genius! The kid hacked into a Russian science base via radio and didn't even realise! 
  • Steve really can't talk to girls… but like he REALLY can't talk to girls. That whole scene made me cringe so badly. 
  • Mike’s cocky attitude is super off putting and I love that Hopper put him in his place! 


Episode Two 
Okay, so far I think this may be my favourite episode. It gave us so many great character moments. Such as: 
  • Max and Eleven going shopping and bonding over how stupid teenage boys can be.  
  • Eleven getting to opportunity to have normal teenage experiences. 
  • Hopper putting Mike in his place, not quite an approving method, but still brilliant all the same. 
  • Steve and Dustins reunion was so cute. 


Also can we please take a moment to congratulate the writers on some of the best and most hilarious dialogue ever written. 


My top three are: 
  • “We ask for forgiveness not permission”. 
  • “More to life than stupid boys”. 
  • “I dump your ass”. 


Robin solving the code, along with Steve recognising the song from the mall ride, leading to them realising that there are russians in Hawkins. That was honestly such a brilliant plot twist. I felt like they could of made that really obvious but I completely didn’t think of that as a possibility. Steve, Dusin and Robin are an iconic trio! 


Episode Three 
Noah Schnapp stole this episode. His acting is absolutely phenomenal. He proved that in season two but this season he just took it to a whole other level. 


I was fully sobbing with him while he destroyed Castle Byers. His whole storyline is so sad. The last remains of his childhood have been snatched from him and he hasn't been allowed to grow up, but all his friends have and he feels left behind. Furthermore multiple hints that Will feels different to his friends about romance and girlfriends have been dropped… are we going to get a coming out scene or????


Apart from Noah’s brilliant acting, this episode also gave us multiple moments to talk about: 
  • Billy and Heather attacking her parents and feeding him to the mindlfyer… the more hosts it gets the more powerful it becomes… 
  • Now Will can feel that the mindflyer is back… 
  • Eleven and Max are starting to get suspisous of Billy. 
  • Dustin, Robin and Steve are going to get themselves killed if they are not careful… 
  • Also, yes Dustin, I agree Robin and Steve would make a great couple. 


Episode Four 
I saying this now before I forget, Max and Elevens friendship is too pure for this show! 


So much seemed to happen this episode! Firstly, Joyce and Hopper once again proved to everyone that they are an incredible yet terrifying duo. 


Secondly Erica, if I had to endanger my life to fight some Russians by crawling through a tiny vent, I’d want free ice cream too! 


Thirdly, I absolutely loved the moment between Nancy and Mrs Wheeler. I really enjoyed a rare mother daughter bonding moment. 


Finally, the fight scene at the pool… a perfect example of why this show is so so so good. 


One thing I have always loved about Stranger Things is their editing and cinematography. That scene where they're at the swimming pool and have locked Billy in the sauna is a perfect example of how good everything that goes on behind the scenes is. Even when its a full on battle between a bunch of children and a possessed teenager, it was still visually stunning to watch… in some weird messed up way. 


Also, Millie’s acting was phenomenal during that scene. Being able to portray such a range of emotions and change those emotions so quickly taken pure talent. 


Episode Five
Well, sh*it really hit the fan this episode! That entire episode was so dramatic. We weren’t even given two minutes to breathe! 


I really enjoyed each plot line from this episode. Normally I enjoy only one or two and not all of them. So it was nice for that to change this episode. But I think that was because all the stories are now beginning to connect. 


I really enjoyed Joyce and Hoppers storyline this episode because even though it was extremely dramatic is was done in a really funny way. Especially with Hopper stealing the car and hen Joyce putting Brett Gelman’s character in his place. 


The juxtaposition between Nancy and Johnathan’s scenes in the hospital and the childrens scenes in the waiting room was carried out really well. One minute you're calm and happy that Mike is fixing things with Eleven and then the next second you’re panicking because Nancy and Johnathan could get killed or taken at any moment. 


I feel like Dustin, Steve, Robin and Erica’s storyline was the calmest this episode, despite the sneaking around an underground russian facility. Which hopefully means it will get really dramatic for them in the next episode. Although, it was nice to see Steve win a fight. 


Episode Six
Top five things I took away from this episode: 
  1. Erica is the best thing to happen to this show. 
  2. Max is a feminist icon, whom I stan very hard. 
  3. I need Elevan’s entire wardrobe from this season. 
  4. I think Hopper has an alcohol issue. 
  5. The standard of editing this season is brilliant. 


So many things happened this episode: 
  • Dustin and Erica saved Robin and Steve from being tortured by the Russians, but not before the Russians had drugged them. 
  • Alexi, the russian scientist told Hopper and Joyce about the so called ‘foolproof’ facility under the mall that no one can break into. Yet Robin, Erica, Steve and Dustin did… 
  • The majority of characters now know that the gate is being opened. 
  • Eleven thought she had located Billy and the mind flyer but in reality the mind flayer now knows where Eleven is. 


So much happened this episode, but for me this bit that stood out the most was the scene where Eleven entered Billy’s mind. That scene where he released her and she falls, is amazing. 


Everything about that scene is just brilliant. Millie and Dacre’s acting is phenomenal. The way it goes deadly quiet and you can’t hear Elevens screams. It gave me literal chills. 


Visually that moment is absolutely stunning, the way everything just slows down. The amount of detail gone into that scene, Eleven is in a bright yellow shirt againsts a black background. Even if you weren’t already fully invested in the plot, because she is so brightly dressed all your attention goes to her anyway. 


Then again, when you see her trying to exist Billy’s mind and everything goes backwards and you see the show in reverse - again absolutely brilliant. 


I feel like that poetic cinema meme… 





Episode 7
Mayor Lewis looks like every white male republican who votes against women’s reproductive rights… 


Episode 7 once again provided us with two great examples of how excellent this cinematography, camera work and set design on Stranger Things is. 


The first was the 360 shot of Eleven fighting the mindflyer in Hopper’s cabin. It was such a quick scene but so brilliant at the same time. So clean cut and deities so well that it just flowed so smoothly into the next shot. 


The second was the mirror labyrinth scene. It was such a tense moment but the lighting and the setting made it so visually stunning to watch. And then the moments broken with Hopper shooting the bad guy (who’s name I currently can’t remember). 


Episode 7 also provided us with three very emotional (well, emotional for me) moments. 


The first was Robin coming out to Steve, all season I’ve been wanting Steve and Robin to get together because I fully believed a show like Stranger Things would never have an LGBTQ+ character, simply because of the lack of representation in the media. 


So, the fact that it happened and Steve doesn’t even bat an eyelid, he literally takes like 5 seconds to process what she said and then told her that her crush was tone deaf and a terrible singer. 


That moment got me quite emotional just because it was nice to finally see some LGBTQ+ representation in Stranger Things, along with how well Steve reacted also. 


It was also an excellent way to throw the audience off, they were following that classic rom-com popular guy falls for nerdy girl and then at the last minute went SIKE she’s gay, and they stay friends! 


The second emotionally scene was definitely Alexei getting shot. It was just so shocking, yet predictable at the same time. I think subconsciously I knew they were going to kill off Alexei, but I wasn’t expecting it to make me as emotional as it did. I think that was because of the way Alexei was portrayed throughout the story, he’s meant to be this criminal mastermind and yet he just wants to drink cherry slushies and watch Looney Tunes. 


The third final scene that got me emotional was when Eleven had to use her powers to pull the demogorgon thing out of her leg. For me that scene was so gross and made me feel physically sick. But Millie Bobby Brown’s acting was so believable. I fully started sobbing because all I could see was this child on my tv screen screaming in pain. 


Any praise I give her genuinely would not give her talent justice. 


Episode Eight - Season Finale 
Well that was an emotional rollercoaster that I don’t ever wish to ride again… 


Can we just take a moment to appreciate the following things: 
  • the blue and red lighting at the beginning of the episode which was very aesthetically pleasing. 
  • Erica Sinclair has proved that she is an ICON and we should all Stan her. 
  • I didn’t realise the Scoop Troop was the actual code/team name I thought it was a fan given name… 
  • Billy saying sorry and saving Eleven was very sweet and all but definitely didn’t redeem him from his past actions. 


There were so many moments from this episode that I was planning to talk about… and then they killed off Hopper and everything else didn’t matter anymore. 


I loved all of his moments this season, he was so badass and chaotic. I kept believing in that crazy 80s film troupe that he’ll survive. 


Hoppers death hurt more than endgame. I think because I knew it was coming. That look he gave Joyce when she had to pull the two keys… 


The finale episode was definitely the best episode of the series. 


To summarise, season three of Stranger Things was perfect and I can't fully put it all into words, so basically everyone should go watch it and then you will understand why I love it so much and why I struggle to write properly when reviewing it. 


Feel free to leave a comment below your thoughts on the show. You can also contact me via twitter (@niamhcrawley_), instagram (@crawley.filmandtv), facebook or, you can email me at crawley.filmandtv2000@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular Posts