Mortal Engines (2018)

Mortal Engines (2018)

Directed by Christian Rivers.
Screenplay by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Peter Jackson.
Starring Hugo Weaving, Hera Hilmar and Robert Sheehan.


It’s a mess, a genuine mess.


Such a mess in fact that I’ve put off writing this review for god knows how long because I haven’t been able to find the right words to review this film and, to tell you the truth I still don’t think I have the right words to review this film.


The acting was great but, the dialogue is a pile of horse manure…


Hugo Weaving was great as usual. I’ve never seen Hera Hilmar in something before and I thought she was great.


Yet again Robert Sheehan gives an excellent performance in a poorly written film.

One thing I know has been a major issue about this film adaptation for fans of the book is Hester Shaw's facial scarring. Hester is meant have "a deep scar that cuts across her face, twisting her mouth and destroying her nose". She's also only got one eye in the book. 

One that note can someone please tell me why Hollywood then decided that for the film her scar would look like this?

Once again we are dealing with stupid beauty ideals and Hollywood sexism.


On that note however, the graphics and cinematography was amazing and so visually pleasing. Which really made me admire Reeve’s imagination and his idea for creating a book series based on a post apocalyptic world where cities and villages have mobilised to survive.


However, I sat in the theatre bored out of my mind and completely disconnected from the film.


To summarise, Hollywood and beauty ideals have ruined a perfectly decent character, the graphics are great, the acting’s okay, the dialogue is terrible and I’m starting to wish I hadn’t bothered to go see the film in the first place.

Feel free to leave a comment below your thoughts on the film. You can also contact me via twitter (@niamhcrawley_), instagram (@crawley.filmandtv), facebook or, you can email me at crawley.filmandtv2000@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular Posts