Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) - Spoilers!!!

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019) - SPOILERS! 
Directed by Jon Watts. 

Written by Chris Mckenna and Erik Sommers. 
Starring Tom Holland, Zendaya, Jacob Batalon, Jake Gyllenhall and Samuel L. Jackson. 


Before I start this review, I feel the need to emphasise that I did really enjoy the film. 


However, I did not enjoy the post credit scenes. More specifically the first post credits scene. To me, it felt like it got thrown in for shock value and nothing else. I understand that it’s a great set up for the next MCU film, but it still didn’t sit right with me. Like, you’re seriously just going to have his entire identity exposed to the world and then just leave it? No. What was the point in that? For me, there was absolutely no need or point for that to happen. There were so many other ways you could have had that film end; another hero could of contacted him or the classic ‘a villian attacks new york’.  


Spider-Man: Far From Home is a good film, but it failed to fully immerse me in its plot and honestly, the film was a little bit predictable. I guessed Mysterio was evil within the first 20 minutes of the film. Peter goes on this big emotional journey, he learns to cope without Iron Man and he finally admits his feelings for MJ. Yet, I didn't feel fully connected to the characters. I still felt a connection, I still gasped at shcking parts and laughed at the funny parts; yet I didn’t feel a full emotional connection. I didn’t cry at any of the sad parts, like when Peter breaks down and talks to Happy about missing Tony. Normally moments like that make me sob, yet I felt nothing during that scene. Holland’s performance was great but to me, his dialogue lacked emotion. In fact a lot of the dialogue lacked emotion and connection. 


I do, however, believe that partly the reason for this is because it's the next MCU film to come out after Endgame, which was just this huge crazy success for Marvel. 


But, because Spider-Man: Far from Home has had to come out after Endgame. I think that my expectations for this film were too high. 


If I rated the film out of five stars, I'd give all the elements such as acting, editing and cinematography five out of five stars. The writing however, I would give three out of five. 


Spider-Man: Far From Home has every element and convention of a good Marvel film, but something just felt missing with the plot. Maybe this is just because it's the first film of the next phase of the MCU. 


It’s a good film and it was made to a good standard but it could have been better and what let it down was it’s writing. It had the potential and didn't take it, but it was still an enjoyable film. 


To summarise, I enjoyed this film however I believe I could have enjoyed it a lot more. 

Feel free to leave a comment below your thoughts on the show. You can also contact me via twitter (@niamhcrawley_), instagram (@crawley.filmandtv), facebook or, you can email me at crawley.filmandtv2000@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular Posts