Avengers: Endgame (2019) - Spoilers!

Avengers: Endgame (2019) - Spoilers!

Directed by The Russo Brothers

Starring, basically most of the MCU universe actors.


This review is full of spoilers - like full of them! So if you haven’t seen Endgame yet, do not keep scrolling!!!


I’ll say it again…



IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN AVENGERS: ENDGAME DO NOT KEEP SCROLLING!





If you made it past the meme I’m going to assume you’ve already seen endgame and if you haven’t then seriously? What are you doing? Its been out in the UK for nearly two weeks already.


Now onto the review…


April 25th 2019, 7:30pm; I had just watched Avengers: Endgame. To say I was an emotional wreck would have been to put it lightly…


It was actually embarrassing how emotional I was.
Me just after watching Endgame

Eyeliner? Gone
Foundation? Streaky af
Perfectly lined lipstick? Don’t know her!  


My first thought coming out of the cinema was “what the actual f***?!” I then proceeded to sit in a state of shock for the rest of the evening.


This film fully ripped my heart out and yeeted it into space.


It was however, the perfect way to end this phase/era of Marvel. It has every right to be a three hour film, at no point was I bored or felt like the plot was dragging on.


Furthermore the plot is filled with moments you didn’t see coming, such as the opening 10 minutes of the film when Thor decapitates Thanos, or Black Widow sacrificing herself to get the soul stone. I certainly wasn’t expecting that. That was the moment that really set me off, I just silently sobbed for the rest of the film.


The film was also just filled with absolutely amazing moments that made me laugh, cry and cheer.


The best moment for me was when Captain America/Steve Rogers (aka the love of my life) threw Thor’s Hammer (I can’t pronounce/spell its real name so I’m calling it Thor’s hammer). That moment for me made the entire film. We’ve all known since Age of Ultron that Steve could lift the hammer. It was just so perfect to see it on screen, especially with Thor screaming “I knew it!” I kid you not guys everyone in the cinema audibly cheered at that point.


The next best moment, which was also one of the saddest, was Tony Stark’s/Iron Man’s final moments of screen. Starting with Doctor Strange signaling to him that this was the one way that they could win, to  him stealing the stones off Thanos, followed with the iconic “I... am… Iron Man” line. I then started full on crying and then just as I stopped the film showed us Steve staying in the past to be with Peggy. Which is by far the best thing they could of done for Chris Evans final film.


I fully believed that they were going to kill off Captain America, so you can imagine my shock when Iron Man died. I don't know why I was so shocked. I think I just had this crazy belief that they wouldn’t kill him off because, you know, it’s Robert Downey Jr.


Another great moment was, Captain Marvel arriving on the battlefield and Thanos attempting to headbutt her and she doesn’t even flinch, and you can see the sheer power radiating off her. You can see the fear in his eyes because he knew he was about to get his ass handed to him.


Some other moments that I thought were brilliant or really funny included:

  • The return off all the dusted Avengers/MCU heroes.
  • All the marvel ladies teaming up to help Captain Marvel
  • Scarlet Witch’s response to Thanos when he claims he doesn't know her. Iconic!
  • Steve Rogers giving the shield to Sam, which made me cry all over again.
  • Carol Danvers haircut… that was everything!!
  • All the jokes about Captain America’s ass because, let's be real ladies and gentlemen, that is America's Ass.  
  • Thor’s beer belly, which I know I shouldn’t of really found that funny because he is basically an alcoholic now but his transformation was quite a shock and I couldn’t help but laugh.


I did however, have three issues with this film:
  1. The LGBTQ+ representation. You cannot give me a 30 second clip and claim that’s good representation of the LGBTQ+ community. So many big film/production companies are guilty of this e.g. Netflix and Disney. LGBTQ+ representation is either a 30 second clip about a background character or a character that will get killed off.
  2. This is probably my biggest issue with this film and its the fact that Black Widow was killed off. Like, the feminist in me just got super angry and was like “yOU’rE JUst gOINg tO KIll oFF ThE ONly ORIGinal feMAle AVEngER?” Mmmmm kay. I know she’s getting her own film and it was an excellent plot twist but my emotions didn’t need that!    
  3. This is my final issue with the film. I feel like Captain Marvel’s role in the film got like really hyped up and then she wasn’t even in it that much. Which I think was a result of all the hype from the Captain Marvel film, along with the promotion for this film, plus all the fan excitement. I get she’s not an original Avenger but personally I wished she had a bigger role.


However, apart from those three issues. This is by far the best Marvel film I have ever seen. It is a truly brilliant way to end a film era and move onto the next phase of the MCU.


I’m really sad to see it all coming to an end and all the OG actors leaving, especially Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr. I was going to include Hemsworth, but as I was proofreading this, they announced he signed a contract for two more films.


This is probably one of, if not the longest film review I have ever written… I’m quite proud of that. I’ll finish this review off by saying this:


Avengers: Endgame is a beautiful end to a beautiful era.

Feel free to leave a comment below your thoughts on the film. You can also contact me via twitter (@niamhcrawley_), instagram (@crawley.filmandtv), facebook or, you can email me at crawley.filmandtv2000@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular Posts