What did I watch this summer? (Part 2) - Summer 2019

What did I watch this summer? (Part 2)- Summer 2019
My dear readers, like many other teenagers I am not spending my wonderful summer holiday outdoors, breathing in fresh polluted air. No, instead I’m spending my wonderful free time glued to my television, iPad screen or I’m at the cinema. So, I decided to compile a small-ish list of films and television shows I watched this summer

Good Omens (2019)- Amazon Prime  

Directed by Douglas Mackinnon 
Written by Neil Gaiman.
Starring Michael Sheen, David Tennant, Daniel Mays, Sian Brooke, Ned Dennehy, Ariyon Bakare, Nick Offerman, Anna Maxwell Martin, Nina Sosanya, Doon Mackichan, Sam Taylor Buck, Adrina Arjona, Miranda Richardson, Michael McKean Jack Whitehall, Mireille Enos, Bill Paterson, Yusuf Gatewood, John Hamm. 


Good Omens follows the story of an unlikely pair. An angel, Aziraphale (played by Michael Sheen), and a demon, Crowly (played by David Tennant). This unlikely duo, who have been on earth since the beginning of time, team up to try and prevent Armageddon a.k.a THE END OF THE WORLD! 


Okay, I really enjoyed this show, so much so that the same day I finished the finale episode I started reading the book because I didn’t want to say goodbye to the characters just yet. (I am well aware that this is slowly becoming an obsession, which may turn into a hyperfixation…)


Initially I wasn't convinced I was going to enjoy watching the show. I found episode one and two really weird but, by episode three I was hooked. I think I wasn't convinced at the start of the series because the show always seems to fall a little flat when Tennant and/or Sheen aren’t on screen. 


I don't think that the reason it feels flat was anything to do with the writing or performance of the other actors. I just think that the un-holy or perhaps holy chemistry between Sheen and Tennant was so chaotic and lovable that whenever they were offscreen you just wanted them back on screen. Well, that is what it was like for me anyway. 


Also, small side note, thanks to Good Omens I now I have a new feminist icon. Pepper (played by Amma Ris). she wasn't afraid to stand up to the literal War, put the antichrist in his place and she had some of the best lines. My favorites were: 
  • “I believe in peace, b*tch.” 
  • “My mum says war is just masculine imperialism executed on a global stage.”  


To summarise, Good Omens is wacky, weird, wonderfully funny, light-hearted and dark humoured; and all round truly chaotic in the best way possible. 

Queer Eye (Season 4, 2019) - Netflix

Created by David Collins 
Starring Antoni Porowski, Tan France, Karamo Brown, Bobby Berk and Jonathan Van Ness. 


Queer eye is a Netflix original series and a reboot of the Bravo series Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. The series follows the adventures of the Fab Five: Antoni Porowski, food and wine expert, Tan France, fashion expert, Karamo Brown, culture expert (basically a therapist), Bobby Berk, design expert and Jonathan Van Ness, grooming expert. The Fab Five travel from state to state in the more southern areas of North America helping and transforming amazing individuals to become the best versions of themselves. 


I really enjoy watching Queer Eye, but I can never watch more than two episodes in a sitting because there is a 99% chance I will cry and i don’t want to cry for however many hours straight. 


I really enjoyed the fourth season of Queer Eye because like all the other season before it, it tackles a range of issues that the world is currently facing and it also provides that little bit of hope everyone needs to keep going. 


Basically, everyone should go watch Queer Eye because I, a bisexual, said so. 


Feel free to leave a comment below your thoughts on the show. You can also contact me via twitter (@niamhcrawley_), instagram (@crawley.filmandtv) or facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts