What did I watch this summer? (Part 1) - Summer 2019

What did I watch this summer? (Part 1) - Summer 2019
My dear readers, like many other teenagers I am not spending my wonderful summer holiday outdoors, breathing in fresh polluted air. No, instead I’m spending my wonderful free time glued to my television, iPad screen or I’m at the cinema. So, I decided to compile a small-ish list of films and television shows I watched this summer…  

Blinded by the Light (2019)

Directed by Gurinder Chadha
Produced Jane Barclay, Gurinder Chadha and Jamal Daniel. 
Written by Paul Mayeda Berges, Gurinder Chadha and Sarfraz Manzoor. 
Starring Viveik Kalra, Hayley Atwell, Rob Brydon, Kulvinder Ghir, Nell Williams, Dean-Charles Chapman and Aaron Phayura. 


Set in the 1980s, in Luton, England. Blinded by the Light follows the story of a British teen of Pakistani decent called Javid and his struggles to come with the pressure from his traditional minded father and the intolerance of his hometown. Javids only coping mechanism his is poetry, until one day a classmate introduces Javid to the world and work of Bruce Springsteen, soon Javids poetry and life are changed forever. 


This film succeeds where many other “musical” films miss the mark. Not only does this film celebrate Springsteen’s work but is also actually follows an interesting and relatable story. 


This film is wonderful in so many ways. The first being its ability to allow the audience to escape reality through the story. I got so engrossed in the film I forgot to analyze anything and for me, that's when I know its a good film.


And the second being how inspiring Javids story is, he is constantly facing various obstacles that could allow him to fail, yet every time he overcomes these struggles and successes. 


Everyone needs to see Blinded by the Light because it truly is one of the best feel good films ever made.  


Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)

Directed by Bob Perichetti, Peter Pamsey and Rodney Rothman. 
Produced by Avi Arad, Amy Pascal, Phil Lord, Christopher Miller and Christina Steinberg. 
Screenplay and Story by Phil Lord and Rodney Rothman. 
Starring, Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfield, Mahershala Ali, Brian Tyree Henry, Lily Tomlin, Luna Lauren Velez, John Mulaney, Kimiko Glenn, Nicolas Cage and Liev Schrieber. 


Before anyone has a go at me, yes I am fully aware of how late I in watching this film, but that shouldn’t matter because I loved it! 


Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse follows teen Miles Morales who becomes the Spider-Man of his reality after the Peter Parker as Spider-Man is killed. Whilst coming to terms with his new found super powers, Miles encounters five other versions of the “Spider-Hero” and together they must stop a threat that would destroy all their realities. 


Much like Blinded by the Light I forgot to analyse the film because I was enjoying it so much. It's a good feel good film that is comical, fun and doesn’t take itself too seriously. It's got bold storytelling, beautiful animation, along with lots of humour, heart to heart and action. 


I think my favourite character was John Mulaney’s Spider-Ham/Peter Porker, he’s lines were quick witted and had perfect comedic timing. 


Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was wacky and wonderful and I honestly cannot fault it. 

The Lion King (2019) 

Directed by John Favreau. 
Produced by John Favreau, Jeffrey Silver and Karen Gilchrist. 
Written by Jeff Nathanson. 
Starring Donald Glover, Seth Rogan, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Alfre Woodard, Billy Eichner, John Oliver, Beyoncé Knowels-Carter and James Earl Jones. 


Before I went to see this film, I wasn’t really sure if I was going to enjoy it because I am so protective over the original cartoon because it is one of my favourite childhood films. That and I don’t really understand how this counts as a live action film when, all the animals are just really advanced CGI… 


However, I was pleasantly surprised. I actually really enjoyed the film. I do think the fact that it is such a well-loved story helps. Never-the-less I still really enjoyed it. They’ve kept all the main elements of the story that everyone loves, whilst putting their own spin on it at other moments. Which I think was the perfect way to play it out. 


Billy Eichner was definitely one of the best things about this film. He definitely had all the best lines/moments. Like when he and Pumba had to distract the Hyenas and instead of singing the Hawaiian song, like everyone expected, Billy’s chapter, Timone starts singing “be our guest”. I definitely was not expecting that and that's what made it the best moment for me. 

Once Upon a Time in… Hollywood (2019)- SPOILERS! 

Directed and written by Quentin Tarantino. 
Produced by David Heyman, Shannon McIntosh and Quentin Tarantino. 
Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Emily Hirsch, Margret Qually, Timothy Olyphant, Austin Butler, Dakota Fanning, Bruce Derb and Al Pacino. 


Once Upon a Time in… Hollywood is one of the weirdest films I have possibly ever seen. It is definitely not my usual type of film. 


That being said, I did however really enjoy it. I think the ending of the film was exceptionally clever. You spend the entire film waiting for members of the Mansion family to attack Sharon Tate and her friends, only for the Mansion family to get the wrong house and for their plan to go horribly wrong. It was definitely was not expected, which is what made it so great! 


I do however think that it’s portrayal of Bruce Lee is extremely unfair and taints the legacy that is Brice Lee. In the film he comes across and arrogant and embarrassing, which is so painful to watch, it felt wrong and disrespectful. 


Yet despite the many controversies that sound Tarantino and his films; I’m very glad I saw this film because it is a great example of excellent filmmaking. If someone asked me to define a good film, I’d use this film as an example. 


Although one question remains unanswered… did Cliff Booth really kill his wife? 

Feel free to leave a comment below your thoughts on the show. You can also contact me via twitter (@niamhcrawley_), instagram (@crawley.filmandtv) or facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts