BlacKkKlansman (2018) - Not Just a Film but a Warning…

BlacKkKlansman (2018) - Not Just a Film but a Warning…

Monday 20th May 2019

00:06 am


So, I just finished watching Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman and well, I can’t sleep. So instead I’m writing this… whatever this piece is. It doesn't feel right to call it a review, this is so much more than just a film.  

Also, before anybody comes for me, I am well aware of how late I have been in getting around to watch this film.

This film should have won best picture, I don’t care what anyone else says! That includes my past self wishing for Bohemian Rhapsody to win.

I guess the reason I can’t sleep is because, I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that these events actually happened. Ron Stallworth, the first African-American police officer and detective in the Colorado Springs Police Department, successfully infiltrated the KKK ranks and carried out the investigation for nine months!

The film is a masterpiece, I honestly cannot fault it. I still can’t find the right words to describe the film and how it affected me after.  It portrays an all too real horror of what is happening all over the world right now. The film is filled with moments that not only happened in the 70s but are happening again now. A perfect example of this would be when Stallworth and his Sargent are talking about David Duke running for office and Stallworth’s belief that the people would never elect a man like Duke for office… fast forward to 2016 and America (along with the alleged help of some Russians), elect Donald Trump to be their president.

The part of the film that affected me the most was the last parts of the film. It ends with Ron looking out of the window to find the KKK burning a cross near his building. The scene then cuts to a video taken from 2017 where you have literal Nazis marching in the streets of America, spewing racist, anti-semitic and white lives matter chants. The tape then jump cuts to a group of black lives matters protesters being run over by a Nazi in their car. Followed by a clip of Trump giving a disgusting speech defending the Nazis actions.

That video of the car keeps playing my head over, and over, and over again.

It’s not just in America either, it’s everywhere… I mean look at the UK we have that Nazi coward Tommy Robinson and his thugs.

As a child I grew up learning about the fights against racism, fascism, homophobia and sexsim. I knew I was privileged because I am white and I knew that things like racism and fascism still exist.

But, what I did not expect was to witness racism and fascism rise and gain power during my teenage years and THAT is what scares me.

We are living in a world where people like Trump and Tommy Robinson can gain power and supporters, and our governments are doing nothing.

We are living in a world where Neo Nazis can march freely in the streets in gangs with torches or driving fast cars through crowds and killing people.

We are living in a world where men still think they can gain control over woman by making laws about our bodies.

We are living in a world where Muslims are being thrown into concentration camps in China, LGBTQ+ folk are being thrown into concentration camps in Chechnya, and black men, women and children are being shot and killed by racist policeman in America.

We are witnessing a repeat in history and we need to do everything in our power to stop it. BlacKkKlansman isn’t just a film it's a warning. A warning to what is coming, and what has already happened.

Yes, I may still be a teenager and yes, I may be privileged and yes, I may not fully educated in the matters that go on in the world. But I’ll be a damn fool just sit on my backside and do nothing.

Feel free to leave a comment below your thoughts on the show. You can also contact me via twitter (@niamhcrawley_), instagram (@crawley.filmandtv), facebook or, you can email me at crawley.filmandtv2000@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular Posts