Captain Marvel (2019)

Captain Marvel (2019)
From frizzy post-battle hair to not sexualising her super suit, Captain Marvel has it all!  
Directed by Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck.
Written by Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck and Geneva Robertson-Dworet.
Starring Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, Lashana Lynch, Gemma Chan, Jude Law and Ben Mendelsohn.


I’ve tried to keep this review spoiler free, but I feel like I should give a warning anyway…

SPOILER WARNING!

 There you go!

Captain Marvel is a perfect film.


It is wonderfully funny and lighthearted in places and took the meaning of badass to a whole new level. Also, it's got a great soundtrack!  


I knew that there was going to be a tribute to Stan Lee at the beginning and it was as beautiful as I had heard it was. I even choked up a little. I don’t think it will really hit me that he’s gone until they run out of comeos - which I am completely dreading by the way.


Now, I know I am slightly biased in my words considering I am a huge Marvel fan and have an adoration for complect female characters. I’m also shamelessly a bisexual feminist who has a habit of falling in love with cool female superheroes… sorry not sorry!


Brie Larson’s acting is just phenomenal, she portrays a character that is instantly likable and perfectly wholesome. Her and Samuel L. Jackson on screen together is such a pleasure to watch because they just bounce off each other so well; allowing the film to just flow effortlessly.


The plot is excellent, full of twists and turns; along with moments no one saw coming. It’s also jam packed with easter eggs and references to other films in the cinematic universe. There were also great moments in the plot that every women could relate to, for example being told to “control your emotions” and that you'll never get anywhere because “you’re too emotional” and other sexist comments blah blah blah…


Captain Marvel is a breath of fresh air in the doom and gloom that has taken over the Marvel Cinematic Universe, *cough cough* the Russo Brothers *cough cough*. I really enjoyed this because honestly after Avengers: Infinity War and Ant-Man and The Wasp’s post credit scene I don’t think I’ll emotionally be able to handle such a dark Marvel film. Lord knows how I’ll get through Avengers: Endgame…  



Anyways, back to the review. It was wonderful to watch this character who is so confident in herself, even when she is at her lowest, she gets back up, constantly refusing to give up. She is the icon I wish I could’ve looked up to during my early teenage years.


Even the small details they added to her character were just brilliant, such as her having really messy and frizzy hair after she fell from the sky.  Allowing this “mythical being” barrier to be broken down, making her her so much more relatable and realistic; for example her super suit.


It was so practical, along with actually covering and protecting her body properly and the best part was that it wasn't just designed for the male gaze. IT IS AN ACTUAL PROPER SUPER SUIT! So shout out to Sanja Milkovic Hays for that one.


Look, I really can’t fault this film. It’s got an excellent plot, phenomenal acting, beautiful cinematography, fantastic costume design and a smashing soundtrack.


To summarise, Carol Danvers didn’t come to play, she came to slay. So everyone better watch out!

Feel free to leave a comment below your thoughts on the film. You can also contact me via twitter (@niamhcrawley_), instagram (@crawley.filmandtv), facebook or, you can email me at crawley.filmandtv2000@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular Posts